75% off all weekend | get full lifetime access now
Ends in: ...
Creating A Chip-8 Emulator In C
In this fantastic course you will learn how to create your very own emulator for the Chip-8 in the C programming language. The Chip-8 is a virtual machine from the mid 1970s designed to make game development easier.
This course is great for anyone who has programming experience and would love to create an emulator but just does not know where to start or has attempted to do it but ran into problems
You are taken through every step of emulator creation, throughout this course we start by setting up our project, then we start writing code to emulate the display and keyboard from the era. We soon move to simulating the entire Chip-8 instruction set.
After you complete this course you will have a fully functioning Chip-8 emulator that can run space invaders, pong and many other classic games.
What you’ll learn
- How to create an emulator for the Chip-8 machine
- Knowledge of how instruction sets work
- Understanding of how machines work
Are there any course requirements or prerequisites?
- You must be confident in the C programming language
- You must understand hexadecimal
- You must understand bitwise operators and bit shifting
Who this course is for:
- People interested in how to create an emulator
What you'll learn
Who this course is for
- 01:01 Preview Lecture 1 - Introduction
- 13:28 Preview Lecture 2 - Chip8 Emulator Overview
- 22:14 Preview Lecture 3 - Setting Up Our Project And SDL
- 07:48 Lecture 4 - Structuring Our Project
- 14:58 Lecture 5 - Implementing The Memory
- 08:38 Lecture 6 - Creating The Registers
- 19:17 Lecture 7 - Creating The Stack
- 27:58 Lecture 8 - Creating The Keyboard
- 02:10 Lecture 9 - Initializing The Chip-8
- 07:32 Lecture 10 - Creating The Default Character Set
- 12:49 Lecture 11 - Creating The Chip-8 Display
- 25:07 Lecture 12 - Drawing Sprites To The Screen
- 03:12 Lecture 13 - Implementing The Delay Timer
- 03:55 Lecture 14 - Implementing The Sound Timer
- 26:51 Lecture 15 - Starting The Creation Of The Instruction Set Simulator
- 36:39 Lecture 16 - Implementing The Chip-8 Instruction Set
- 04:15 Lecture 17 - Speeding Up The Emulator
About the instructor
- 6 Reviews
- 191 Students
Dragon Zap Instructor
I am Daniel McCarthy, instructor at dragon zap